Sunday, February 8, 2009

Movies are a great escape if you are wanting to just exit your own thoughts and feelings for a bit. It is always good to pick a movie that is in contrast to what you are wishing to escape.

Tonight I saw New in Town. My friend and I decided it was time for a laugh and a giggle. Sitting in the theater with my legit bottle of water and a small bag of popcorn and she sitting with her little bottle of smuggled water and delicious candy bars. She dropped her bottle of water and tried to discreetly locate the bottle ....which didn't turn out to be an easy task. It went deep under her seat. Well...we got the giggles and soon, we started hearing other giggles that weren't us. I almost got my arm caught as I reached through the seat and found it just as I realized that I was in past my elbow which was now caught. It didn't last long but I can tell you that there was a moment of panic amidst the out of control laughter. She got her bottle of water in time to begin the movie.

This movie really showed a great example of diversity at its ugliest. There are many areas of the country that are small town and simple. We get so caught up in our high society standards that simplistic really spells boring and unexciting. The movie starring Renee Zellweger and Harry Connick Jr. showed the evolution of those misplaced judgements and ideals. Humor was the catalyst for a very good message about being open and welcoming to people unlike yourself. Most of the characters were portrayed by unknowns but all filled in the story nicely with a wide range of personalities.

New in Town is a delightful movie and worth the ticket price. It also helps to start the occasion with a friend and lots of giggles.

No comments: